U.S.S. Continuum now has Away Mission Kits!
After a short discussion on Saturday’s Festival on the Green, we’ve developed and created away mission kits. The command currently has 3 kits available for check out or you may create your own. All items in the command kits are purchasable at Dollar Tree – Everything’s a Dollar. We got most item at the 29 North Dollar Tree and the rest was picked up at the 9th Avenue one. The great thing about shopping there – it was all relatively inexpensive to create the kits. On Saturday we spent a little over $22.00 dollars. Today, to finish the kits, I spent another $8.00. That means that an average kit costs $10.00 to make, including container.
Some items we did divide among the 3 kits so if you make one for yourself, your cost might be a little more as the expenses would not be shared among 3 kits and if you make your purchases somewhere else, the items may be more.
The kits are currently in the Yeoman’s hands, but will be distributed for caretaking in the following manner:
- Kit #1: The Captain’s Kit. This kit will be permanently assigned to the Captain and can be checked out from him or her if he or she is not already going to the same event. Currently this is Fleet Captain Jay Gallops.
- Kit #2: The Yeoman’s Kit. As the Cleric/Administrative Assistant to the Captain and thus supposed to be at all functions he or she goes to, plus ones he or she can’t make, the second kit will be assigned to the Yeoman. This kit can be checked out directly from the Yeoman if you are going to an event and the Yeoman is not. Currently this is Ensign Luci Smith.
- Kit #3: The General Command Kit. This kit will be randomly assigned to a regular crew member who is currently being active. Currently that assignment is being passed to Crewman Recruit Orey Kimbler because she has been fairly active and is dependable. Command may decide to assign it to someone else at any time. Check with the Yeoman to find out who is currently in possession of it.
If you check out a kit, please return it to the Yeoman at the next get together or meeting and NOT the person you checked it out from (unless you checked it out from the Yeoman). The Yeoman will make sure everything is accounted for, is in good working order, and will repair or replace as necessary before redistributing to the appropriate caretaker.
Included in the Command Away Kits:
- Rubber bands – generally useful
- Double Sided Tape – for tacking things down quickly in a controlled manner
- Sewing Kit – wardrobe malfunctions + safety pins & straight pins can be utilized to control tablecloths & display boards
- Binder Clips – hold tablecloths to tables (some – may not fit all tables)
- Small Bungie Cords – multiple uses – main use – Continuum banner
- Velcro Straps – multiple uses – main use – Continuum banner
- Super Glue – things fall off display boards from time to time.
- Latex-Free Bandaids – ALWAYS latex-free. Prevents someone with an allergy from having a reaction + the more someone is exposed to latex, the higher the chance they will develop the allergy to it. Prevention is a good thing.
- Alcohol Swabs – clean wound before bandaiding it.
- Scissors – multiple uses
- Tablecloth Runner – Help hold down tablecloths & looks good doing it.
- Tablecloth Runner Weights – place 6 on each side to give tablecloth runner enough weight to hold it and tablecloth down
You may also create a kit of your own. On the documents page you can find a complete list of the basic kit and a list of things to consider for an advanced kit. If you create one of your own, the command will not reimburse you the cost. We have 3 that you may check out for command functions if the Captain, Yeoman, and/or Crewman are not attending.
Basic Kit Ingredients
The above is a picture of a completed basic kit out of the box. Below is a picture of a completed basic kit in the box.
Packed Basic Kit
The Command Kits also include Tablecloth Runner and Weights, the following two pictures show the basic kit with the table runner beside it and then rolled and added to the kit: (Not shown – tablerunner weights. Use medium – large clear/blue glass beads, 6 per side of the tablecloth runner.)
Basic Kit before being turned into Command Kit
General Command Kit